The Cherry Arts is a radically local, radically international, experimental multidisciplinary arts company specializing in international performing arts, studio classes, and a newly-opened visual arts gallery, located in Ithaca, NY. The Cherry is now accepting submissions for an exhibition “Local Futurities” scheduled for Fall 2022. Regional and local artists reflecting on the in-between of past, present and future, as well as navigating the boundaries of mediums, are welcome to apply. The Cherry especially encourages visions beyond a singular, utopian future.
“Local Futurities” is held in collaboration with the 2022 Cornell Biennial “Futurities, Uncertain.” “Local Futurities” is a call for regional and trans-regional responses to the crises and possibilities posed by the present and by the future. Artists will be required to provide and transport their work to Ithaca for exhibition. Eligibility and submission details can be found below.
• Artists based in the following four regions are eligible to apply (Regional Map): Western New York, Finger Lakes, Southern Tier, Central New York.
• If selected, the artist must be willing and able to transport their work to Ithaca and back for the exhibition dates of Sep 2 to Oct 23, 2022. We will offer logistical sup-port with this to the extent possible.
• Artists will provide equipment for the exhibition of their sound, film, or other time-based media art.
• Students are not eligible to apply.
• A $15 entry fee is to be paid at bit.ly/localfuturities. Please save your payment receipt as a PDF. You will be required to attach it to your application.
• Exhibited artists will be compensated with stipends in excess of wageforwork.com recommendations for an organization of our size. These stipends vary according to number of artists exhibited in the show.
• Application form can be accessed at bit.ly/LocalFuturities.